Tuesday 18 March 2014

Adding some Swarovski Flash to Kumihimo


I have been participating in a Kumihimo Challenge Group on Facebook for a while now and thought I would share some of my recent and not-so-recent creations.  While I am banned from sharing the current entry as it might be considered ‘begging for votes’ and the entries are anonymous until after voting week is over, here are a few of my other submissions:
Back in December 2013, the Challenge theme was Winter.  My entry came fourth but I have since been fortunate enough to have a much improved photo taken by the wonderful Julia Lindsay Tomascin.  The piece is one of my personal favorites as it is a mish-mash of beads, fresh water pearls, and lots of fabulous Swarovski Xilion beads as well as Swarovski Bicone Pendants.  The texture is fabulous and I must say that Julia captured it well in this wonderful close up shot.  The piece was made with full strands of various components and again, a basic 8 strand braid



The January Challenge was to create a piece for Valentine’s Day.  I decided to try a new tutorial I had from the multi-talented Kumihimo artist, Pru McRae (www.prumihimo.com) called Netted Treasures.  I created a long piece that could be worn either as a necklace that does up with the funky, chunky heart clasp at front or as a 3-wrap bracelet.  I wanted to use Swarovski’s new Dome Beads in Crystal Lilac Shadow as modified end caps for the braid and I was happy with the results of both the piece and that it came in second place in the Challenge!



Always a Bridesmaid, never a Bride, my entry for the Mardi Gras February Challenge came in second place as well.  For me, it isn't about winning though ... it really is just loads of fun to come up with something with a theme.  Mardi Gras colors are purple, green and gold and it was fun to use 2 strands of Swarovski Xilion beads (Amethyst and the new Dark Moss Green), 4 different colors of long magatama beads, 2 strands of some fun eyelash yarn, and some coordinating Swarovski crystals for the dangle embellishment – all in a basic 8 strand braid.  Truthfully, the eyelash yard was SUPPOSED to be a scarf for my sister several years ago (purple is her favorite color) but I really suck at knitting and since there was only about 2” done I thought I would re-purpose the yarn to something I would actually complete!  I’m sure I gave my sister something else for her birthday that year.  Sorry, Joni … maybe you want a bracelet?  J

The status of my entry for March is still in the wind and likely will be the subject of another blog.  Wish me luck and go play with your beads!  Thanks for stopping by and happy beading.


1 comment:

  1. Thought I commented on this but must have did something wrong (hard to image eh!) LOL Love all
    three of these gorgeous pieces but I think my favourite is the middle one as a wrapped bracelet. All your work is amazing.
    hugs
    glenda

    ReplyDelete